BDLC is governed by an elected Board of Directors. The Board of Directors is drawn from the general membership of the BDLC non-profit corporation and from the community at large. Each board member serves a two-year term. Members of the Board include the Executive Director, Curriculum Director, and a Staff Representative. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, and all other employees report to the Executive Director.
A board meeting is scheduled on the third Tuesday every other month at 6:00 p.m. at the Center. All staff members are welcome to attend board meetings. Copies of the Board minutes are available on the parent board in center court.
Powers of the Board of Directors: Seeking new members
- Shall interpret and implement the general policies as expressed by the general membership and consistent with the purpose of the organization. Upon request of five (5) members of the Board, any question shall be referred to the general membership for comment and recommendation.
- Shall, when necessary, be able to amend the annual budget subject to a 2/3 vote.
- Shall appoint and supervise the Administrator(s) of the Learning Center, define their duties, establish their salary, and negotiate the terms of their contract(s).
- If necessary, shall approve the appointment and terms of contract of teachers and staff upon recommendation of the Executive Director of the Learning Center and the Personnel Committee.
- May dismiss administrators, teachers or staff upon recommendation of the Administrator(s) of the school and/or the Personnel Committee, by a 2/3 vote, providing such action shall be in accordance with the term of his/her contract. The Board shall provide a hearing for any administrator, teacher or staff member before dismissal upon request.
- Shall prepare an annual budget for approval of the general membership at the Annual Meeting.
- Shall carry out or cause to be carried out an annual review of the Corporation’s financial records within two (2) months of the close of the fiscal year.
- Shall authorize the purchase of equipment and supplies.
- Shall secure physical facilities needed by the Learning Center.
- Shall set registration fees, tuition, and membership dues as well as develop and secure additional financial support.
- Shall create all standing and special committees.
The standing committees are as follows:
- Executive Committee
- Personnel Committee
- Finance Committee
- Planning and Program Development
- Rules and Regulations
Board of Directors 2012 Seeking new members—contact Deb at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812.336.6600 if you are interested.
President: Weixia (Bonnie) Huang
Vice President: Lia Kettenis
Secretary: Lanlan Xu
Treasurer: John Poage
BDLC has a variety of committees to manage specific aspects of BDLC administration and development. Board members serve as committee chairs of standing committees (e.g., finance, personnel, etc) as well as short-term committees. Both parents and board members may serve on these committees.
Executive Committee: Lia Kettenis, Weixia (Bonnie) Huang, Lanlan Xu
The Board of Directors may, by resolution adopted by a majority of the whole Board, designate two (2) or more members of the Board to constitute an executive committee, which shall have all the authority of the Board in the management of BDLC, subject to any limitation included in the resolution that the Board feels appropriate. In no event shall such delegation of authority operate to relive the Board of Directors or any member thereof of any responsibility nor shall it replace Board meetings, but shall be for the purpose of giving emergency power to act for the corporation between regular Board meetings. The authority so granted may be further limited, expanded, or revoked by a subsequent resolution.
Chair: John Poage
Members: Weixia (Bonnie) Huang, Deb Murzyn
This committee oversees the budget and financials for BDLC including filing tax documents.
The Finance Committee may subdivide into a budget committee and a fund-raising subcommittee.
Personnel Committee Seeking new members—contact Deb at email@example.com or 812.336.6600 if you are interested.
Members: Deb Murzyn, Nicki Williamson, Cathy Scott, Bonnie Huang
This group will consider salary schedules, benefits, contracts, staff hiring guidelines, search and screen rules, teacher evaluations, and grievance procedures. The administrative staff will provide all necessary documents, background information, input, and any other materials necessary for the Personnel Committee to properly conduct its work in accordance with these bylaws, federal, state, and local regulations, and the most recent version of the Learning Center Employee Handbook. If there is conflict between these bylaws and the Employee Handbook, these bylaws supersede those guidelines.
Planning and Program Development Committee
This committee addresses issues related to developing guidelines for the educational component in the center as well as long-range planning and evaluation of BDLC programs. This includes reviewing annual parent/teacher survey information, policy changes and/or updates.
This committee may divide into three subgroups:
- Program and Curriculum Development to develop guidelines for the educational component promoted in the center.
- Research requests to promote new ideas in the field of early childhood education.
- Long-Range planning to discuss ways to expand BDLC.
Chair: Lia Kettenis
Sara Fetter, Dan Li, Katherine Kearns, Catherine Furno, Wei Yang, April Hennessey
Rules & Regulations Committee
Chair: Weixia (Bonnie) Huang
The following sub-committees work with the Executive Director to facilitate BDLC daily operations:
Technology Committee Seeking new members
Currently, the major function of this committee is to implement and update the new website.
Chair: Amanda Hemmerich
Members: Amanda Hemmerich,Chris kowalczyk
Grounds and Playground Committee Seeking new members—contact Deb at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812.336.6600 if you are interested.
This committee oversees the outside areas and works with the Director and Board to prioritize and plan upkeep and budget. It also organizes the two grounds day events held each fall and spring as well as general planning with teachers for playground and garden improvements.
Members: Deb Murzyn, Jerick Mills, John Bunde, Jessica Montgomery, Gulomjon Azimova
Special Events & Staff Appreciation Seeking new members—contact Deb at email@example.com or 812.336.6600 if you are interested.
Chair: Ellen Wu
Members: Ellen Vaughn, Emily Tenney, Stephanie Henline, Bridgett Hagood
This committee coordinates BDLC special event days (such as potluck dinners, picnics) and Staff appreciation celebrations.
This committee was formed to develop a proactive plan for marketing the BDLC kindergarten program for 2012-2013 school year.
Lia Kettenis, Sara Fetter, Dana Cook
Fundraising Sub-committee Seeking new members—contact Deb at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812.336.6600 if you are interested.
This committee addresses fundraising issues, plans fundraising events, and develops long-range plans for focusing fundraising in specific areas of need. Grants are also pursued.
Chair: Seeking new chair
Members: Deb Murzyn, Melissa Myers, Jeannine Bell, Rachel Samson