BDLC believes that we as an organization must behave in an environmentally responsible way for our children’s sake and for the future of our planet. We have many sustainable practices that show our care for the environment, and recently have received a 3-Star Environmental rating from the Indiana Department of Environmental Management.
- BDLC maintains a garden to help supply our kitchen with fresh produce, buys local produce when available, and composts to reduce waste and rebuild the soil.
- BDLC attempts to minimize the entry of toxins into the Center’s environment through practicing Integrated Pest Management, and through the use of environmentally friendly cleaning supplies, laundry soaps, and dish detergents.
- BDLC recycles all cans, bottles, plastics, and paper in our effort to minimize our impact.
- Whenever possible, BDLC purchases socially responsible products such as recycled paper.
- We conserve BDLC’s energy consumption through the use of florescent lighting, energy efficient appliances, computers, printers, programmable thermostats, and high efficiency heat pumps for heating and cooling coupled with good insulation practices.